Hello! Welcome back!
This week as a part of my project I worked on the neck and tuning pad of my ukulele. For the neck I used a long piece of wood about an inch thick. For the tuning pad, I used the same piece of wood and another board of wood I used to make my acoustic box from a couple of posts ago. I used different types of wood because it creates different textures and the tuning pad needs to be a little wider than the neck. I also realized in the process that, in order to create pressure for the strings, the tuning pad needs to be a little bit angled, as opposed to parallel to the neck. This obviously causes a space between the neck and the tuning pad, so to fill it I used a small piece of wood to securely connect the two pieces. These two parts of the ukulele need to be strongly joined because if not, the second you touch the strings, the whole thing is going to collapse. This is actually a really important part of building a string instrument like this: provide proper support. To make the strings sound like they should, there needs to be a lot of pressure, and your structure needs to be strong enough to support that. Well, that's what I did this week. Thanks for taking the time to read it again. Please enjoy this (not) attractive picture of me cutting wood. Until next week, where I plan on working on the frets of the ukulele.
Wow, it really seems like you know what you are talking about and I cant wait to see the final product.
ReplyDeleteIt is cool to hear about u progress this week and it will help you think though your process! Keep up the good work. -Julie
ReplyDeleteYour project seems to have made great progress.I really like what you are doing, keep it up!
ReplyDeleteI think it's great how you are helping people get into to music by teaching them how to create their own ukulele.
ReplyDeleteHow long does it take you to make each ukulele?
ReplyDeleteLoving the progress of this project, I'm exited to see more!
ReplyDeleteThis is really cool! How do you make the frets for the ukulele?
ReplyDeleteWow. You made a lot of progress this week. How much time have you put into making the ukelele itself? I'm curious to see how long it would take.
ReplyDelete