Friday, February 10, 2017
Hey, everybody!
This week, I worked more on the neck of my ukulele. I tried my best to figure out where the markings for the frets should be. By the way, a fret is each of the spaces on the neck where you put your fingers on to play. There was a little confusion on my last blog regarding that, so I thought I'd clarify it. To figure out the spacing, I used a website (https://woodgears.ca/ukulele/fretboard.html) where this man, who also built a ukulele, walks you through the steps of making the fret board. After I applied his calculations to my measurements, I marked with a pencil where each of the markings should be. Here's what I'm working on right now. I finally bought sandpaper and I am so excited about it. My ukulele still has some imperfections that I can fix more easily with sandpaper. I had this little smoothing rock that I attached to my drill, but it didn't quite do the job. So, right now I am working on getting rid of splinters and other imperfections with my new sandpaper, which is going to make it look a lot nicer. Next week, I plan on adding the toothpicks where the fret marks are, and adding the tuning hooks to the tuning pad. I am really excited about how my project is coming along, and thank you for reading!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I like how you are trying to fix the imperfections in your project by using sandpaper. Try to make the pictures on the blog so that you can see them.
ReplyDeletewould love to see what your ukelele looks like.
ReplyDeleteThis is such a fun project! How long do you think the tooth picks will take?
ReplyDeleteI'm not sure. I have to glue them in, wait for them to dry, then sand the sides, so a long time i'm guessing. But i could do it in two days.
DeleteSounds like you are enjoying making your ukulele! I know some ukulele's have designs on the body and sometimes on the fret board. Are you planning to put any on yours? -Julie
ReplyDeleteI am not the most talented artist, but I'm willing to try!
DeleteWow you got a lot done this week. I was wondering when you plan on staining the ukulele? I think you've told me you plan to but I was wondering when since that's when all of the colors of the wood are brought out.
ReplyDeleteWell you did very well on answering questions and you went above and beyond explaining others people's questions that they have had. Sounds like you have all under control, so keep it up. Im having trouble criticizing this weeks blog, so that means you did great. Quick question how long do you think it will take till you finish, and what do u do after that.
ReplyDelete