Friday, March 10, 2017

Hello!

My product was supposed to be done today, but I had to face some difficulties so I asked my teacher for a one-week extension. Basically, I was talking with my dad and we decided that the simple nylon strings wouldn't work to get the sound we needed. So, we ended up buying real ukulele strings, which is fine because they ended up being the same price as the nylon strings. I still think my neck will not give me the support I need by the nut. The nut is the part between the neck and the head of the ukulele. I did, in fact, get the support necessary between the neck and the box. I screwed the neck onto the box (as you can see in the picture) AND I glued it to make sure it didn't snap. I still haven't put the strings in, but I'm not sure my tuning hooks will be able to tune it right because they aren't tight enough. I will work on that this week, though. If all else fails, there are actual ukulele tuning pegs available on amazon for a very cheap price, but seeing as how the purpose of my project is to do this with things everyone has available in their homes, I really want the hooks to work out. This week is the final week I have available to work on this, but all I need to do is stain it all to preserve the wood and make sure it tunes correctly. Fingers crossed I can make it work! I will update this blog on Thursday with my finished product and whether the hooks worked or not.

Thank you once again for reading!

3 comments:

  1. Keep up the good work! Have you asked you mentor for help yet?- Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see the progress. It stinks you're having some difficulties at this point but I'm sure it'll be fine. Do you think you'll be able to finish instruction AND stain by Thursday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you have a good plan. Approximately, how much money will it take for you to finish the whole thing?

    ReplyDelete